Step Grant Information
The State Trade Expansion Program (STEP) grant helps boost international trade for existing and new exporters. Each state applies for the grant through the U.S. Small Business Administration. In total, last year, the states were federally awarded over $18 million. In addition, non-federal matches helped the states reach a total of over $25.5 million in awards to businesses across the nation.
The State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) grant program, established as part of the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 to award grants to states to carry out export programs that assist eligible small businesses. Funding from the U.S. Small Business Administration STEP grant has helped to increase the number of small businesses across the nation to export their products, create jobs and generate additional economic growth. Each state focuses on different funding options such as training, trade show assistance and exhibitions, economic growth with specific countries, foreign trade missions and market sales trips, subscription to services provided by the U.S. Department of Commerce, website foreign language translation services, design of international marketing materials, and participation in export and trade financing workshops.
STEP financial support helps US small businesses:
- Learn how to export
- Participate in foreign trade missions and trade shows
- Obtain services to support foreign market entry
- Develop websites to attract foreign buyers
- Design international marketing products or campaigns
To find your next global customer:
- Click on your state/territory on the US map above to find out if it has an award.
- Then call or email your state/territory point of contact about eligibility and next steps.
- Contact details below:
For further information, you may contact STEP@sba.gov