March 19, 2020
Dear Valued Scarbrough Clients and Partners:
Most importantly, we hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of humanity during these trying times.
During this time, we want you to know a few things about Scarbrough and our team. As communities around us implement non-essential business closures, rest assured that The Scarbrough Group of Companies is considered essential by government officials and will remain operational.
- We care about our employees and their safety, which is why we have implemented our Business Continuity Plan. This includes full functionality via remote access for our international and domestic operations teams.
- We care about our employees who are not able to work from home, such as our truck drivers and warehousemen. We are complying with the CDC’s Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers.
- We care about our clients and their families, which is why we have asked our sales team and client relationship managers to implement video conferencing in place of traditional face-to-face meetings (try it out, you might like it!).
- We listen to the supply chain needs of our clients and help them to develop unique solutions during this time.
- We listen to our local, state, and federal governments and implement policies & procedures as they provide additional guidance.
- We listen to our partners around the globe and their respective struggles and solutions with COVID-19.
- We know a halt to air passenger travel also creates a shortage of air cargo capacity as most passenger flights serve as additional cargo capacity. With this significant shortage in air cargo capacity, both trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific, demand will continue to outpace and therefore cause an increase in airfreight rates globally.
- We know the recent land border closure with Canada (and a rumored one with Mexico) pertains to people and not trade currently.
- We know the ocean freight market is extremely volatile at the moment with container shortages, congestion, and temporary port closures.
- We know each day brings more uncertainty. Individual U.S. ports of entry make their own decisions which could include quarantining cargo or requiring additional fumigation, for example.
- We serve our clients by always providing a dedicated operations representative.
- We serve our clients by keeping them informed about delays and issues within their supply chains.
- Most importantly, we serve by understanding it is our job to make your job easier.
To summarize, cargo continues to move across all borders at the moment, but with delays. As you know, global response to the virus is changing daily. We are doing our best to proactively keep clients whose cargo has been significantly impacted informed. If you have any specific questions about your cargo, please contact your dedicated operations representative.
Finally, thank you for the continued trust you place in Scarbrough and our team. We truly value your partnership and appreciate your commitment as we commit to you during this time.
President & Chief Operating Officer
The Scarbrough Group of Companies
The Scarbrough Group of Companies, headquartered in Kansas City with local presence in every major port in the world, is a complete international and domestic supply chain service provider, offering U.S., Mexican, and Canadian Customs brokerage, Import & Export Transportation Solutions, Domestic brokerage and asset-based trucking, Warehouse fulfillment and distribution services, Trade Compliance Consulting, Large Equipment and Project Cargo moves, as well as Parcel Audit Savings. Scarbrough is widely known for its trade experts, training, personalized customer service, customized solutions, and data analytics tools. Since 1984, Scarbrough has continued to satisfy its clients by following its motto on a daily basis: “It is our job to make your job easier.” Moreover, our team of experts is available at your disposal. We offer free consultations on any topic from supply chain optimization and duty savings opportunities to the basics, helping to guide new importers and exporters as they jump into the world of global trade. Contact us now.