Checklist for Complying with USA Export Regulations
Ask yourself the following questions when you are exporting:
- Are my products on the U.S Munition List ( USML)
- Are my products subject to the EAR ?
- Are my products on the Commerce Control List (CCL) ?
- Do general prohibitions 4-10 apply?
- Do I know the end user and end use of the product?
- Am I shipping to a destination of concern?
- Do I need a BIS (Department of Commerce) license?
- Does my shipment qualify for a license exception?
- Is there any indication of restrictive trade practice or boycott language?
- Did I provide my forwarder with complete and accurate information?
- Did I provide my forwarder with written authorization to file AES on my behalf?
- Did I request and receive a copy of the AES data transmission from my forwarder?
Download List (PDF)
The exporter must know the end user of the commodity. It is exporter’s responsibility to check the end user and ensure they are not re-selling to an restricted country. The exporter must keep documents on record for at least 5 years. These documents need to be accessible upon request. The exporter or shipper will need to prove to the Department of Commerce that it at least attempted to be compliant at the time of the shipment. If this is the case, it could reduce penalties, but not guaranteed.
Our company, Scarbrough Consulting, Inc. is known for our expertise in export services, regulations and documentation. We help clients find new ways to mitigate costs, risk and add to their bottom line. We are offering a free 30 minute consultation call with our team of Export Operations Experts.
Is this something you would be interested in learning more about?
Fill out the form below or email email@example.com.
Scarbrough, headquartered in Kansas City with local presence in every major port in the world, is a complete international and domestic supply chain service provider, offering U.S., Mexico, and Canada Customs brokerage, Import & Export Transportation Solutions, Domestic brokerage and asset-based trucking, Warehouse Fulfillment services, Trade Compliance Consulting, Large Equipment and Project Cargo moves, as well as Parcel Audit Savings. Scarbrough is widely known for its trade experts, free training, personalized customer service, customized solutions, and data analytics tools. Since 1984, Scarbrough has continued to satisfy its clients by following its motto on a daily basis: “It is our job to make your job easier.” Moreover, our team of experts is available at your disposal. We offer free 20 minute consultations on any topic from supply chain optimization and duty savings opportunities to the basics, helping to guide new importers and exporters as they jump into the world of global trade. Contact us now.